Summer means only one thing: swimwear and vacation season!
Now that you have spent all spring working on getting that bikini body ready, lets try not to ruin it all on vacation. While it is okay to indulge in moderation and enjoy yourself while soaking up the sun, you still want to be cautious of how you are eating. You don’t want to feel terrible when you get back home and undo all of the hard work you’ve already put in, so by following a few easy steps you will enjoy your vacation and still feel healthy.
- Drink Plenty Of Water– staying hydrated is extremely important, especially when in the sun. It is essential to replenish your body of the water that it is losing in the sun. Also, we often confuse thirst for hunger, so by staying hydrated we can prevent over eating.
- Avoid Sugary Or High Calorie Drinks– although it is hard to say no to those Piña Coladas and Mai Tai’s, they are loaded with sugar and calories and a lot of things that we really just don’t need. Look for safe alternatives that are less sugary. Generally, blended or fruity drinks should be avoided.
- Portion Control– skip the buffet. Really stay focused on when you are full and stop eating. It is easy to get caught up in delicious foods but overeating can make you feel fatigued and tired.
- Lean Protein– while steak and lobster are great foods to indulge in, they can often be really heavy. Choosing chicken or a white fish is a great alternative to keep energized and create a satisfied full feeling.
- Green Plates– the standard side dishes are always replaceable. Don’t be afraid to ask for fruit or side salad instead of the french fries. It will leave you feeling full and happy rather than greasy and guilty.
In general, it is usually easier to stay healthy at home than on vacation, but it is not at all impossible. By staying mindful of the things you are eating and trying to stay active, you will enjoy your vacation without hurting your fitness progress. Be sure to get back into your fitness routine as soon as you return home and use your vacation as motivation to work extra hard!